Sunday 13 February 2011

Red Velvet Valentines: Red Velvet Mini Cakes



I never really understood red velvet cake. I just wasn't sure why you'd put food colouring in cake. 

I have seriously been missing out... 

Cue me baking some little red velvet mini cakes and then falling in love for the second time this week with an inanimate object.


(This is my first love of the week. My first, brand spanking new SLR. I've called her Drusilla <3)

This recipe is from here but I have halved it. I didn't want an army of mini cakes! (It made around 12 mini cakes)


Ingredients
125gr butter
150gr golden caster sugar
1 egg
120gr buttermilk
½ tbsp white wine vinegar
150gr plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
10gr cocoa powder
Red food colouring (liquid 1tsp)


Method
Preheat oven to 180o/c
1, Cream the butter and sugar together.
2, Beat in the egg
3, Beat in the butter, vinegar and vanilla extract.   
4, Sift together the flour, cocoa and salt and gently fold it in
5, Mix in the food colouring until the batter is a dusky red colour.  I used a teaspoon of red food colouring in liquid form.
6, Spoon the batter into greased moulds so they are half full.    
7, Bake for 15 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean. 
8, Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.  Slice them in a half and add a dollop of cream cheese icing.  Sandwich them back together and top with more icing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment