Sunday 15 April 2012

Dandelion & Lemon Jam

"A weed is but an unloved flower" Ella Wheeler Wilcox

Whilst they might occasionally blight the lawn, we have a little patch at the end of our vegetable plot that we let grow wild. It's a great little patch that springs to life with tulips, bluebells, white bells, daffodils and plenty of dandelions, all adding their unique splash of colour and texture. It's also nice to see it being visited by bees and ladybirds.

I wanted to use up some of the dandelions in cooking. The bitter green leaves can be used for a number of things including pesto but when I stumbled on this recipe for jam, I had to give it a go.

I used the juice and zest of two lemons instead of one to make its bit more clean tasting.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting idea - I was just wondering if I could do anything with the fast-encroaching dandelions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Phil - My lawn was starting to be more yellow and flowery than actually grassy...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a lovely idea!! I love the idea o using wild plants in cooking, it's free food, and very healthy to boot, but I dont trust myself with foraging and I don't know where and how. But dandelion,s that I can identify!

    beautiful quote too, I'm writing it down (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. AND what did it taste like. I remember seeing dandelion jams around last year and meant to try it out, but forgot - hmmm, there might still be time.

    ReplyDelete