Saturday 21 April 2012

Hot Cross Bun Pudding

Four hot cross buns. That's the only evidence left that Easter happened in the cottage. I contemplated freezing them. Or making bread and butter pudding. Then I realised a childhood favourite - the humble bread pudding. Dense, fruity, spicy. Hot cross buns would lend themselves to it perfectly.

This recipe might need a bit of further tweaking as its done from a hazy memory of my next door neighbour making it. Without scales...

Ingredients
Four hot cross buns - mine weighed in at about 300gr altogether
Small handful of sultanas
350ml semi skimmed milk
Zest of one large orange
Two large pinches of cinnamon, mixed spice and ginger
1 egg
80gr golden caster sugar
75gr very soft butter (Next time, I would use less - probably around 40gr)

Method
1, Rip your hot cross buns into chunks and place in a large bowl. Add in the sultanas, milk, zest and spices. Leave it for 5 minutes to soak and then get your hands in there to give it a good squish. My favourite part. Obviously
2, Set this to one side, preheat your oven to 160o/c and line a 7inch square cake tin with baking paper.
3, Finally add in the egg, sugar and butter and best until smooth. Pour this into your prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto an wire rack and leave to cool.
4, Sprinkle with Demerara sugar before serving - optional.

I'm entering this into Tea Time Treats - this month hosted by Kate who has set an Easter theme. You can see Karen's mammoth two part scone round up here and here.

11 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and I like the idea of baking it in a tin. I normally do mine in a ceramic dish but I think yours looks so much better and I know it will taste yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura - This recipe still needs a bit of work but it was the best batch of bread pudding I think I've made. Love the idea of baking it in a ceramic dish too!

      Delete
  2. Yum - I think I prefer this to hot cross buns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, certainly more moreish than the actual buns themselves!

      Delete
  3. What a great idea! - I have some hot cross buns in my freezer - I shall have a go ! Thanks for the recipe.
    PS It was a nice surprise to see that you are my newest follower - Thank you. You have a lovely blog and I'm delighted to be following you too.
    http://missbbobochic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea...I bet the hot cross buns gave it a lovely spiced flavour! I'm so impressed you made up the recipe too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura, the buns worked really well in it. The recipe really needs working on, I can only remember vague quantities from her!

      Delete
  5. Hi Hannah,

    Just letting you know I have nominated you for a fun blog award on my blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personalised childrens towels, personalised baby hooded towels and personalised childrens bathrobes all make perfect personalised kids gifts.
    By : www.GooseberryBushGifts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personalised Christening Gifts, take a look now for wide range of personalised Christening blankets, God parent gifts, god mother gifts, unique personalised christening gifts and baptims gifts, also suitable for naming ceramony gifts.
    By : www.GooseberryBushGifts.co.uk

    ReplyDelete